Parrotlets, are the smallest of the parrots in the world. Also, Parrotlets are the smallest of the parrot species bred in captivity, and make are wonderful companion birds as they have unique and active personalities, they are playful, quieter than larger parrots, and make friendships easily. If you are looking for a long time bird companion, this could be the one for you as they can live over 30 years!
Pet Parrotlets, are a perfect choice for apartment dwellers. If you're not home during the day, it is advisable to have at least two pet Parrotlets as they are very social and need interaction on a regular basis.
Parrotlets, can be taught to repeat words and simple phrases easily, an can be taught whistle different tunes.
HOW TO CARE FOR A PARROLET
1. Though they can tolerate a wider range, it is best to keep your Parrotlet at temperatures between 65 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Diet should be based on small pellets and small hook-bill seed mixtures. Fresh fruit and vegetables should be included regularly, and your parrotlet will benefit from vitamin and calcium supplements.
3. The cage should be a minimum of 24x24x24 inches with a 1/2 inch bar spacing. Bigger is better as it will give the bird more room to exercise and allow you more space to provide toys to keep your pet mentally and physically stimulated.
4. Nails can be kept trim with rough perches placed high in the cage.
5. These birds love to bathe and should regularly be offered the opportunity.
6. They do molt, usually starting at 6 months of age. They can be temperamental and nippy when molting.